Wednesday, November 5, 2008

I almost peed my pants but instead I just cried

I fell asleep last night around 10 o'clock with my computer right next to my bed, displaying automatic updates of the electoral map. At 11:30, I woke up and thinking it was much much later, checked the computer, anxiously. The blue-colored swing states were an indicator that Obama had become president-elect (YEAH....UNH....it feels AWESOME to say that!!!). I woke up J and told him the news and then I fell back asleep.

At 12:30 am, McCain's voice blared his concession through my computer speakers. I don't know how that happened...I didn't have any live streaming programs open. It was eerie...but it was beautiful. I do not hate that man, but I am glad that he's out and that the Republican reign is over, for now.
Obama's speech moved me to tears. I am not under and illusion that his election has changed anything, but I have hope for the first time in 8 years (1/3 of my life!!!). He has one hell of a mess to clean up, but his election is a step in the right direction. I feel energized and ready to join in the fight in any way I can.

Sadly, the U.S. hasn't hidden its bigotry. Though we've elected the first black president, we've denied homosexual citizens in Florida, California and Arizona the right to marry. In Arkansas, an initiative has passed (or will pass...it's not close) that bans gay couples from adopting children. This country has taken a big step forward some steps back.

So today I am ecstatic...elated. I have hope and some pride in my country. And I am also deeply saddened and disappointed.

But I'm going to hold on to my hope and allow my sadness and disappointment motivate me, remembering that there's work to do and that it's done through action.



2 comments:

Zach said...

Yes, I was also disappointed that the bans on gay marriage and adoption passed in their respective states. It's so wierd, isn't it? Democrats take the Senate and the presidency (and maybe the House) but Republicans get the big scary culture wars.

Amanda said...

Yes, it is weird. Part of me can't help but think that religion is at the heart of it. And I may be wrong...but it seems like most of the advocates for Proposition 8 were religious and Obama hasn't alienated himself from that crowd.

I could be totally wrong.