Tuesday, May 20, 2008

It's not owl poop!

Last week, when J and I were at Lone Rock Point, J found something rare and beautiful and exciting: an owl pellet!!!



I hadn't seen one since my elementary school days. I remember picking apart a giant pellet, filled with tiny bones. Of course, my pellet didn't have any cool skulls...but my classmates seemed to find plenty.

J let me do the dissecting, which was very nice of him (though I think he actually didn't want to touch the thing). So, after our hike, I set down a piece of newspaper and got to work with my fingers and a small nail. In keeping with tradition, the pellet did not have a recognizable skull. However, I did recognize some thin, broken sheets of bone as skull fragments.




I'm still not entirely sure what my owl friend ate, but judging by the teeth, I'd say it was most likely a mole.

No comments: