Tuesday, February 5, 2008

MEMMM (I should really move this to Tuesday)


Last night, I made a yummy red curry. It's not an expensive dish, really, but I had to go with the local, organic chicken, so it emptied my wallet. But it was worth it, really, as it'll feed me for a few days. Ms. Emily was feeling a little under the weather last night, but she showed up for the tasting, anyway.

To make the curry you'll need the following:

  • 1 chopped organic red pepper
  • 1 chopped organic carrot
  • 1 cubed sweet potato
  • about 8 organic shitake mushrooms
  • 1 can organic coconut milk
  • 2 tablespoons fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoons red curry paste
  • 4 or 5 cloves organic garlic, minced
  • one bunch organic basil
  • 2" long piece of organic ginger, grated
  • 2 chicken breasts (or substitute tofu)
  • canola oil
Cook the garlic in some canola oil until slightly browned. Add chicken or tofu. Add ginger and fish sauce. Cook for a while and add a can of coconut milk and some water (1/8 the amount of coconut milk). Bring to a near-boil and add curry paste, carrots and sweet potato. Simmer for about a half-hour and add mushrooms and peppers. Simmer for another 10 minutes and add basil. Serve over a bed of rice.


I add hot sauce, as well. Something hot w/o a lot of flavor works best.

After eating, it's nice to relax with a study session. Unfortunately, in my apartment, studying is hard to do as many tiny creatures demand my attention.


3 comments:

Zach said...

Reminds me of my cat. Whenever I start doing something in a sitting position (gaming, drawing, reading, typing), there suddenly appears a tubby tabby in my lap, as if magically teleported there. The only thing that will make her leave is the rattling of kibble in her food dish.

Amanda said...

Yeah...I pretend to be annoyed by it, but I really love it. Echo sits in my lap like that and if I go too long without paying attention to her, she looks back at me so that her head is against my chest and her chin is exposed. It's hard to not love that :).

Zach said...

Yup, same with Catsby, exactly. And if that doesn't work, the licking begins...