Friday, November 30, 2007

Young boy dies after judge denies motion to force transfusion...

I was done posting for the day, but reading this post made the little dragon in my belly quite restless. He's chewing at my insides and I am actually finding it hard to breathe. Here's a snippet of what's feeding the little rage serpent:
Earlier Wednesday, Skagit County Superior Court Judge John Meyer had denied a motion by the state to force the boy to have a blood transfusion. The judge said the eighth-grader knew "he's basically giving himself a death sentence."
"I don't believe Dennis' decision is the result of any coercion. He is mature and understands the consequences of his decision," the judge said during the hearing.
"I don't think Dennis is trying to commit suicide. This isn't something Dennis just came upon, and he believes with the transfusion he would be unclean and unworthy."

He died.

You can read about it here, in more detail.

All I have to say is, what 14 year-old is mature enough to make a decision of that magnitude? All of the decisions I made, as an intelligent teenager, were terrible choices. There were so many things I couldn't know then...

No comments: