Tuesday, November 13, 2007

School Day

Oh, I love school! I just had the greatest class...y'know, the kind where you sit and nod the whole time, formulate questions that go beyond the subject matter and feel completely on top of the subject?

I have been feeling so hopeless about my chemistry class. Not "bad grade" hopeless but "you don't understand this enough to apply it anywhere else" hopeless. But now, it's all starting to come together. Atomic structure? Easy! Effective nuclear charge? No sweat! I understand the stuff we're covering on a "common sense" level. It makes sense to me, on its own, without textbook consultation. I can see, in my head, why higher bond energies indicate shorter bond lengths. I can see that phosphorus trifluoride is a trigonal pyramidal molecule. It's very refreshing!

On another note, I signed up for classes today and I'm taking more chemistry and more calculus. I REALLY don't want to do this, but it makes the most sense for the following reasons:
  • I will have taken the classes in succession, lowering the likelihood that I will lose all the information I've gained this semester.
  • I won't have to buy any new textbooks.
  • I won't have to take any night courses, allowing me to do my homework after work, before 9:00 pm.

The only downside is that I will have finished a year of work towards my degree without having taken a single class in the major. *sigh*

No comments: