I miss school. I really really miss school. It used to be that summer was a great time; swimming, camping, hiking, the beach, biking, outdoor concerts! This summer isn't so bad, really, but between working full time and the rain, it hasn't been very summer-like.
And did I mention I miss school? I miss having a goal in mind, a challenge. I miss leaving class and nearly skipping back to my office with excitement over the stuff I just learned. I miss getting back tests and plugging the numbers into my calculator and finding out that all my hard work paid off. I miss almost all of it.
It's been really hard for me to keep up this blog this summer. I think it's because I'm not taking classes and I'm falling into a bit of a thinking rut. I don't feel like writing anything I have to research at the moment.
Anyway, here's what's been going on:
- I took a leave from Aikido. I just won't have the time come fall and I can't afford to pay 80$ a month to only take one or two classes.
- My cat's ACL seems to be mending just fine. But now she won't eat. I think it's just because she's been getting into Zeus's wet food and she's being snotty. I hope. Otherwise, it's back to the vet.
- I have a bazillion plans coming up: J's mom is visiting this weekend, my aunt turns 70 after that and then I have two weddings to go to (and I'm in one of them as a bridesmaid). Then school starts and the annual meeting follows!
- I've been reading Stephen Jay Gould's Wonderful Life and I'm loving it. It's really quite fascinating and it's also making me want to go to Alberta to visit the Burgess Shale.
- I've been going to the gym. Like, pumping iron. I love it! My goal is to be able to do a single pull-up and ten push-ups (the kind where your arms are under your shoulders and your elbows are tight against your side). So far, I can do almost 3/5 of a pull-up and 1 push-up.
And here are a few paleo pics, just to stay on topic:
The original head from the Brontosaurus mount at the Peabody Museum. Ick.
Some Ceratopsian skulls at the Peabody Museum