Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Lame blogger...Jack Horner...and a random Triceratops

I am an utterly lame blogger. I have failed my duties as a blogger and have ignored my blog for far longer than any decent blogger would. For this, I am sorry.

I have done some cool things in the last few weeks, especially dino-related things!

1. I have finally read Jack Horner's "Digging Dinosaurs." It was just what I needed...a little pick-me-up before school starts...a little 'hey, you can look forward to this' thing. The book is old...like, twenty years old. I'm sure much of the information is outdated...but it's perfect! There's not so much emphasis on the science...well, there's not so much emphasis on scientific language...it's all science in layman's terms. It's fascinating. I never considered that field work could mean contending with black widows and scorpians (which I would have considered had I not been blinded by love). There's subtle humor throughout...the kind I've become so familiar with since joining the Dinosaur Mailing List. And of course, the discoveries...I have a new respect for Maiasaur...for dino babies...for the amazing conclusions that can be drawn from a few bones and a quick study of the geology of an area. It's SO COOL!!!!!

2. I discovered that OPU (Over-Priced University) has a Triceratops! Turns out one of the professors is working on a Triceratops skeleton. I don't know much about it...there's literally no information on the OPU website...anywhere. I have contacted the professor, however, to ask if I can get my hands dirty with the project. I'm sure, as a brand new geology student with no experience, that I won't get to do much more than watch...but that will suffice. Currently, the Triceratops is resting peacefully in a plaster jacket, enclosed in a rock matrix, inside a preparation room in the geology museum. I usually walk over there on my lunch breaks and press my face up to the glass, trying to pick out the bone fragments from the rocks (yeah...I'm THAT new to this). I get chills when I go in there...it's like my dream of working with dinosaurs is sitting on the other side of a window and I can almost touch it!

3. Miss Emily and Jordan have become best of friends. He's been documenting their relationship on his cell phone. Apparently, she's not the easiest company:


First Picture Caption reads: Emily drank all my water and she won't refill it.
Second Picture Caption Reads: Now she keeps changing the channel.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.